A thriving retail scene makes Alexandria the perfect place to test a new concept.
Pop-up ALX provides the opportunity for small businesses to test their fit in the Alexandria, VA market without making a long-term commitment. The program welcomes all tenants who are passionate about their business concept and ready to expand their entrepreneurial venture into Alexandria’s retail scene.
Visitors per year
Median household income
Average spending per person, per visit in Alexandria
Best city for millennials in the country in 2016
Independent restaurants and boutiques
- Pop-up ALX provides the opportunity for businesses to test their fit in the Alexandria, VA market without making a long-term commitment. The program welcomes all tenants who are passionate about their business concept and ready to expand their entrepreneurial venture into Alexandria’s retail scene.
- If you are ready to launch your pop-up shop in Alexandria, submit an application
- Have a business idea but need some advice? Contact the Alexandria Small Business Development Center
- Are you an artist who is interested in activating outdoor and indoor spaces around Alexandria? Contact us about our Pop! Arts ALX program.
“What I think made [our pop-up] successful is bringing brands to Alexandria that no one has been introduced to before. It gives brands who are smaller and going direct to consumer versus doing brick-and-mortar, it gives them an outlet for the customer to touch and feel their products.” – Jennifer Desiderio, 116 King Pop-up
- Exposure for your property: AEDP and our supporters will be promoting available pop-up space and established pop-up shops through a variety of channels. This equates to free advertising for your commercial space and an increased likelihood you will find a suitable permanent tenant.
- Increased foot traffic: AEDP’s pop-up spaces will be marketed in conjunction with a variety of other events and festivals and will become destinations for Alexandria residents, workers and visitors.
- Extra revenue: If your property is slated for redevelopment or if there is lag time between two permanent tenants, hosting a pop-up shop could result in extra revenue for the property owner.
- A more vibrant Alexandria: By filling your vacant property with pop-up shops, you will be contributing to the continued vibrancy of Alexandria and reinforce its reputation as a premier shopping and tourist destination in the region.
“Route 66 is committed to the Old Town Alexandria market as both landlord and tenant. With the objective of encouraging more first time and repeat visitors to the area, we believe that pop-ups are a great way to activate retail stores in a manner that gives people a reason to come back again and again!” – Stuart Fox, Route 66
We want to hear from you. Community support for pop-ups is essential to ensure that they thrive as a business and contribute to the vibrancy of the neighborhood.
Please take a few minutes to complete this form if:
- You want to be kept informed about new pop-up openings around town.
- You want to volunteer your time and talent to ensuring the Pop-Up Program is a success. Both companies and individuals are welcome to participate.
Experience Alexandria Retail
Contact For Details
To learn more about having a pop-up in Alexandria, or if you are a landlord and would like to offer your space through our pop-up program, please contact us.