ALX in the News: Week of April 13th
By: Alexander Cline
In the News
Highlighting news featuring businesses in Alexandria and events around the City each week- whether you are starting a business in Alexandria, or are already part of our community, stay on top of local economic development interest items here!
EACH MONTH, CHECK OUT “GROWING IN ALEXANDRIA,” AN AEDP BLOG SERIES THAT FOCUSES ON BUSINESSES AROUND THE CITY.
For our first blog back, we sat down with Mark Sloan, President & CEO of SynGlyphX, to learn more about the software company. Read more on the blog!
REAL ESTATE & DEVELOPMENT
- Housing Funds Target Priced-Out Residents – Multi-Housing News
- Landmark Mall Redevelopment Has Uncertain Future – ALX Now
- Inova Health System Seeks Feedback on Oakville Triangle Plans – Alexandria Living Magazine
- Alexandria Officials Expect Howard Hughes Will Sell Landmark Mall Site To Another Developer – Bisnow
ECONOMY & COMMUNITY
- Here are the Metros With the Most Employment Risk – Globe St.
- The Friendliest Cities in the U.S.: 2019 Readers’ Choice Awards – Conde Nast Traveler [#2: Alexandria, VA]
- Alexandria the No. 2 Friendliest City in the United States – Alexandria Living Magazine
- Northern Virginia Back to WorkLeadership Task Force – Northern Virginia Chamber
- Coronavirus hit to Greater Washington’s economy bigger than initially projected – Washington Business Journal
- Budget Cuts Push Back T.C. Expansion and Waterfront Redevelopment – ALX Now
- Alexandria faces $100M budget gap because of coronavirus pandemic – WTOP
- Spring2ACTion Early Giving Starts – Alexandria Living Magazine
- Alexandria Budget 2.0 – Alexandria Gazette
BUSINESS & RETAIL
- Appetite: Alexandria Restaurant Owners, Managers Speak About Covid-19 Impacts – Alexandria Gazette
- While this is a step in the right direction … additional relief is necessary’: Virginia restaurants can sell mixed beverages to-go starting this week – Richmond Times Dispatch
- Dedicated to telling Black stories, Arlington’s kweliTV is now streaming on Comcast platforms – Technical.ly DC
- Fat Face to Open This Summer in Alexandria – Alexandria Living Magazine
- Kidcreate Studio Gets Creative After Opening During Coronavirus Shutdown – Alexandria Living Magazine
- Quick pivots keep business fruitful for South Block amid coronavirus disruption – Washington Business Journal
- Yoga Studio Franchise Plans to Open North Old Town Location – ALX Now
- Alexandria Allows Sidewalk and Parking Lot Vending for Restaurant and Retail – ALX Now