COVID-19- Related Information for Restaurants
By: Adrianne Griffith
The COVID-19 virus is affecting businesses across all industries, with restaurants being hit especially hard. The City of Alexandria and other governing bodies are working hard to respond. Below is a list of changes and resources for the Alexandria restaurant community.
*Note: we will update this page regularly, with as much up-to-date information as possible. If you have information you believe would be beneficial, please email us.
Changes and Resources
- CITY OF ALEXANDRIA SUSPENSION OF ENFORCEMENT OF THE FOLLOWING:
- Restaurant Deliveries and Pick-up: Suspended enforcement of delivery regulations in order to allow all restaurants to provide delivery service and pick-up service. Delivery vehicles and customer pick-ups may use on-street parking subject to posted parking requirements.
- Hours of Operation: Suspended enforcement of hours-of-operation restrictions on restaurants, convenience stores, catering operations and automobile service stations (gasoline stations).
- Sidewalk/Parking Lot Vending: Restaurants and retail establishments may vend on adjacent sidewalks or parking lots.
- Off Premises Alcohol Sales: Suspending enforcement of local restrictions on alcohol sales, including off-premises alcohol sales and delivery. Business remain subject to all VABC licensure requirements.
- More information here.
- SBA DISASTER LOAN ASSISTANCE:
- The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) approved an Economic Injury Disaster Loan declaration for Virginia. Small businesses and nonprofit organizations throughout the Commonwealth affected by the COVID-19 public health crisis can now apply for low-interest federal disaster loans of up to $2 million from the SBA to pay fixed debts, payroll, accounts payable, and other expenses.
- For more information and to submit a loan application visit the SBA Economic Injury Disaster Loan page.
- NEW VIRGINIA ABC REGULATIONS
- Highlights: Item 9 (General Permit for off premises sale of wine and beer and waiver of delivery permit) and Item 10 (Waiver of delivery permit for off premises licensees)
- Full list and more details can be found here
- ORDER OF THE GOVERNOR AND STATE HEALTH COMMISSIONER DECLARATION OF PUBLIC HEALTH EMERGENCY
- Highlight: “… all restaurants, fitness centers, and theatres are mandated to significantly reduce seating capacity to 10 patrons, or close; while encouraged to continue carry-out and takeaway options;”
- Full declaration can be found here
Other sources of information:
Alexandria Small Business Development Center – COVID-19 Information and Resources
Visit Alexandria – ALX at Home