Getting to Know Alexandria: North Potomac Yard
By: Adrianne Griffith
North Potomac Yard
AKA: South National Landing
Who doesn’t know National Landing at this point?
Encompassing North Potomac Yard in Alexandria, and Crystal City and the eastern portion of Pentagon City in Arlington, National Landing made its debut in November 2018 when both Amazon HQ2 and Virginia Tech Innovation Campus announced that they would make the newly-branded area their home.
Alexandria is excited to be home to the new VT Innovation Campus and all the opportunity it brings for new development and retail in Potomac Yard. Here is what you can expect over the coming years:
- New Potomac Yard Metrorail Station expected to open March 2022
- VT has planned a $1 billion Innovation Campus. SmithGroup has been selected to design the first 300,000 SF academic building and it is expected to be completed by 2024 (Building 7W in map below). Two other 150,000 SF academic buildings will be developed in the future
- Development of the Innovation Campus and North Potomac Yard will proceed over the next 10 years, resulting in a 65-acre mixed use development. The campus will be home to graduate level students pursuing degrees in computer science and computer engineering
- In addition to academic classrooms, the campus will include an estimated 250,000 SF of partner space for startups and corporate facilities
- There is existing density in the neighborhood, with nearly 3,000 units currently occupied or under construction
Interested in learning more? Get in touch with the AEDP Business Development or Real Estate team to schedule an appointment to talk about real estate and retail opportunities in Alexandria.
Christina Mindrup, Vice President, Real Estate
Jerry Sanford, Vice President, Business Development