ALX in the News: Week of February 24th
By: Alexander Cline
In the News
Highlighting news featuring businesses in Alexandria and events around the City each week- whether you are starting a business in Alexandria, or are already part of our community, stay on top of local economic development interest items here!
EACH MONTH, CHECK OUT “GROWING IN ALEXANDRIA,” AN AEDP BLOG SERIES THAT FOCUSES ON BUSINESSES AROUND THE CITY.
This week, we are featuring ACT for Alexandria– one of our city’s most well-known community foundations. We talked with Heather Peeler, President & CEO, and in lieu of our normal intro, we’d like to highlight something special for the organization: the 10th anniversary of their Spring2Action initiative, on April 29, 2020. It will be the second year that they are looking to involve “Business Fundraisers” in Spring2Action. Spring2Action is a 24-hour period where people are encouraged to make an online donation to an Alexandria charity. More information can be found here. Check it out today on the blog!
REAL ESTATE & DEVELOPMENT
- Alexandria, Fairfax County led Northern Virginia home price gains in January – WTOP
- Largest Transportation Projects in Greater D.C. – Washington Business Journal [Feat. Potomac Yard Metro Station]
ECONOMY & COMMUNITY
- Jinks Unveils $800 Million Budget With 2 Cent Tax Increase – ALX Now
- Alexandria city manager proposes 2-cent increase in property tax rate to fund schools, repairs – Washington Post
- HOW WE STACK UP – Washington Business Journal
BUSINESS & RETAIL
- A Hand Roll Sushi Counter With an Attached Highball Bar Lands in the Heart of Old Tow – DC Eater
- Walgreens on King Street to Close Next Month – ALX Now
- El Saltado Serving Up Peruvian Eats at Bradlee – Alexandria Living Magazine
- New Nepalese Market Coming to West End Condo Building – ALX Now
- Case Architects + Remodelers to Open Alexandria Design Studio – Alexandria Living Magazine
- 10th Annual Best Places to Work list – Virginia Business [Feat. Kearney & Co (8 years & large cos), Worldwide Speakers Group & VxL Enterprises (small business)]
- Bank of America Opens Branch in Carlyle Neighborhood – Alexandria Living Magazine
- St. Elmo’s Coffee Pub is Coming to Old Town North – ALX Now