ALX in the News: Week of September 16th
By: Adrianne Griffith
In the News
Highlighting news featuring businesses in Alexandria and events around the City each week- whether you are starting a business in Alexandria, or are already part of our community, stay on top of local economic development interest items here!
Each month, check out “Growing in Alexandria,” an AEDP blog series that focuses on businesses around the City.
This September, we met with Referral Rock to learn about their SaaS business that helps with word-of-mouth referrals. Check it out today on the blog!
Breaking News: Alexandria a Founding Member of the Northern Virginia Economic Development Alliance!
REAL ESTATE & DEVELOPMENT
- In Potomac Yard’s quest for smart growth, wetlands end up on the chopping block – Virginia Mercury
- D.C.-area leaders to set broad housing construction targets to address affordability crisis – Washington Business Journal
- Housing Index: Still hard to find a house near Amazon HQ2, and prices are still climbing – Washington Business Journal
- Arlington, Alexandria homeowners still aren’t willing to sell – WTOP
- Region’s elected officials urge their governments to commit to affordable-housing targets – Washington Post
- Inventory both holding back home sales, boosting prices in region – Inside NOVA
- Dismal Science- Construction Permits are down and unemployment claims are up, raising red flags for economists – Alexandria Gazette [Page 3]
ECONOMY & COMMUNITY
- Yellow, Blue Line Metro Stations Around Alexandria Reopen – Old Town Patch
- Metro stations reopen after summer repairs – Inside NOVA
- Second Annual Taste of Old Town North – West End Patch
- Richmond to Washington rail project advances – Virginia Business
- End of Metro shutdown is ‘sigh of relief’ for Alexandria businesses – WTOP
- Airbnb sites in Virginia see nearly 372,000 summer visitors – Virginia Business
- Virginia’s DC2RVA rail project would increase trains, reliability – WTOP
- Alexandria City Council votes for controversial bike lanes on Seminary Road – Washington Post
- Alexandria City Council backs plan to slim down Seminary Road, add bike lanes – WTOP
BUSINESS & RETAIL
- Businesses Offer Deals To Mark Metro Shutdown End In Alexandria – Del Ray Patch
- Decipher Technology Studios Named to Washington Business Journal’s 75 Fastest Growing Companies in Greater Washington – Yahoo Finance
- Cat Café Signs Lease in Alexandria – Alexandria Living Magazine
- Renovation for Patagonia Starts at Old Town Theater – Alexandria Living Magazine
- Two shipping containers to form Alexandria’s newest waterfront bar – Washington Business Journal
- West Alex has a school now, joining Harris Teeter and Silver Diner – Washington Business Journal