Amazon HQ2 and Virginia Tech Innovation Campus
On Tuesday, November 13th, 2018, Governor Northam announced that Amazon.com, Inc. will locate a major new headquarters in Arlington County. The Commonwealth, Arlington County, and the City of Alexandria worked together for over a year to develop a partnership proposal to attract Amazon to Northern Virginia. A key part of this proposal includes the creation of a new Virginia Tech Innovation Campus in the City of Alexandria.
Amazon and Virginia Tech to Locate in National Landing
Amazon HQ NOVA will locate in National Landing, which encompasses parts of Pentagon City, Crystal City, and Potomac Yard. Virginia Tech will develop a revolutionary Innovation Campus in National Landing, within walking distance of the new Potomac Yard Metro Station.
- Amazon will invest a minimum $2 billion in its HQ NOVA campus in Arlington and will create a minimum of 25,000 new jobs in 12 years, with the potential to grow to 37,850 jobs around year 15. The company has committed to an average salary of at least $150,000 plus benefits.
- The $1 billion Virginia Tech Innovation Campus will initially consist of 1 million square feet of mixed-use development including academic facilities and supporting uses such as housing, commercial space for companies and entrepreneurs, and retail establishments. The Innovation Campus will deliver leading programs in computer science and software engineering and eventually host up to 750 master’s degree students and hundreds of doctoral students and post-doctoral fellows.
- Visit NOVA’s project pitch website to answer: Why NOVA?
- Get an in-depth look at the regional effort to attract HQ2 by reading the original partnership proposal
Project Location & Details
- National Landing is a joint development site in Alexandria and Arlington. Learn more here.
- Amazon by the numbers
Virginia Tech Innovation Campus
- Learn about Virginia Tech’s vision to create a new center for tech excellence and talent development
- Visit Virginia Tech’s Innovation Campus homepage for detailed information
- New transportation investments in Northern Virginia (full details for download)
- Alexandria and the region’s plans to invest in affordable housing
- State investments in K-12 Education
- Virginia’s plan to grow our tech-talent pipeline (full details for download)
- For general inquiries please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- For press inquiries contact Susan Haralson at 202-841-5454 or email@example.com