Join the AEDP Team: Project Assistant
By: Adrianne Griffith
The Alexandria Economic Development Partnership (AEDP) is Alexandria, Virginia’s economic development organization responsible for growing the city’s economy. A quasi-public organization that is funded by the City of Alexandria but operates as a nonprofit organization, AEDP is designed to nimbly and creatively spur economic growth using a variety of tools and resources. The Project Assistant will play a central role in supporting the city’s most significant economic development projects and initiatives.
We are seeking an exceptionally bright, multi-tasking, and self-motivated individual to provide analytical and project management support to the Chief of Staff. A quick thinker, your flexibility and adaptability are key when complex projects shift and priorities change. You are resourceful and autonomous when taking on new tasks and projects relying on a thoughtful approach to problem-solving to make it all work. Additionally, your ability to communicate effectively and collaborate with a diverse group of stakeholders will be critical to your success.
Your position will be responsible for providing timely, thoughtful research and analysis on a variety of topics related to economic development. You will also provide project management support for internal and external projects. Some projects may be high-profile and public while others will be focused on internal operations. These efforts require project management, research, critical thinking, work planning, problem solving and collaborative stakeholder management skills.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Regularly track, analyze, and compile key economic development metrics using publicly available databases
- Provide project management support to senior managers on major business attraction and retention projects to include research support and content creation
- Draft content such as written text, infographics, and other visuals related to projects and initiatives
- Assist the Chief of Staff with AEDP’s annual strategic planning efforts and establishing, tracking, and evaluating organizational performance
- Support internal process improvement projects helping to map and analyze processes and offer recommendations to create efficiencies
- Research laws, regulations, and policies related to economic development and provide summary documents to senior managers
- Assist with preparation of market reports and AEDP’s annual report in collaboration with other business units
- Provide GIS analysis and map visuals for reports and projects
- Assist the Marketing & Communications Coordinator with the development and implementation of AEDP’s marketing and communications strategy
- Research unique marketing opportunities and audiences AEDP can target to promote Alexandria as a top destination for businesses
- Support the small business development team with analysis of clients and the preparation and implementation of their annual client survey
- Represent AEDP at events and conferences related to the organization’s mission
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent strategic analysis and problem solving skills
- Excellent computer proficiency, including spreadsheets (Excel) and presentations (PowerPoint)
- Experience using publicly available databases (American Community Survey, Bureau of Labor Statistics, etc.)
- Excellent written and verbal communications
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to multitask
- Ability to work under time pressure
- Ability to work tactfully and equitably with people in a team environment
- Familiarity with ArcGIS and Adobe design programs (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop)
Experience: One (1) year of experience in an analyst, researcher or project support role in the fields of public policy, public administration, urban development, economics, or business.
Education: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree.
Equivalency: An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted.
If you are interested in this position, please send your resume and a cover letter demonstrating your skills and experience to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted through January 25, 2019.
AEDP offers a comprehensive benefits package and salary will be commensurate with experience.
Who We Are:
The Alexandria Economic Development Partnership is a public-private partnership that serves to promote the City of Alexandria as a premier location for businesses and entrepreneurs. In 2018, our organization played a leading role in attracting Amazon HQ2 to Northern Virginia and a new multi-billion Innovation Campus to Alexandria. Success like this results in increased city tax revenues, employment opportunities, and the overall enhancement of quality of life in Alexandria. For more information about AEDP, please visit our corporate website at www.alexecon.org as well as www.GrowALX.com.
AEDP is an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information or any other protected class, in accordance with applicable law.